Day 16 - Restored
We have been operational for just over two years now and have seen a shift in the awareness of the church globally on issues of gender based violence and violence against women. However, there is still so much work to do in raising awareness, teaching, training and equipping local churches to respond appropriately and effectively. Our church pack has been downloaded over 1000 times from our website so we know there is a gap that we are filling. We recently released our 'Ending Violence Against Women' resource in conjunction with White Ribbon UK earlier this year.
We have only done this with the help of faithful supporters in prayer and practically through financial giving alongside a number of volunteers who have given their time to us. We are very grateful and humbled by it all.
2013 will be a significant year in the focus on ending violence against women. The United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (UNCSW) in March focuses on preventing and ending violence against women. Restored will be attending this and have submitted requests to host a NGO side event in conjunction with our member the Mothers Union. It will be a key time for governments in committing to bringing violence against women to an end. Additionally the UK Foreign Office has a Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative (PSVI) being launched under the G8 presidency which the UK holds next year. This initiative is being championed by Foreign Secretary, William Hague, who aims to see an end to impunity for perpetrators of sexual violence in conflict situations. We have been involved in some of the consultations on this initiative to ensure that churches are involved and included in the response.
Please pray for:
- As we move into Christmas we are aware that violence in the home often increases at this time of the year. Please pray for women who are suffering abuse that the men who are choosing to abuse them will stop, that the women will receive the help and support they need.
- That more churches both in the UK and around the world will grasp the vision and responsibility of contributing to ending violence against women
- For more members to join our expanding network so that the vision, work and impact increases
- For more people to join us on the journey of ending violence against women and sign up to pray or to give financially to our work.
- Have a good Christmas break and come back refreshed in the new year ready for mission 2013!
Finally, a huge thank you to all of you who have joined in with us on this '16 days 16 prayers' focus during the 16 days of activism to end violence against women. We hope that the work of our members has inspired and encouraged you and maybe to take your own small action to bring violence against women to an end. As always, we would love to hear your feedback or share any stories with us on how you have used this prayer focus in any way.
We hope you have a joy-filled Christmas and a new year full of hope.