Restored’s mission & calling is:
- to promote healthy relationships;
- to raise the profile of VAW within churches;
- to challenge church leaders to speak out;
- to promote prayer to end VAW;
- to bring together and develop biblically-based materials that help those seeking to end VAW;
- to influence the media and culture to make VAW unacceptable;
- to engage men, including reformed perpetrators, to campaign on VAW issues;
- to help members develop programmes and access funding resources and
- to campaign for legal reform, end impunity and access to justice for survivors
- to document and highlight within the development community the work of churches to end VAW.
The global community is increasingly focused on these issues. The third of the Millennium Development Goals is to “Promote gender equality and empower women”. The UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon launched the Unite to end VAW initiative in 2008 and continues to promote awareness through it. In 2014, the Foreign Secretary co-chaired the Global Summit to End Sexual Violence in Conflict in London highlighting how sexual violence in conflict destroys lives and damages communities. In the same year in India, the Global Symposium of Men-engage brought together hundreds of men’s organisations working on gender and VAW issues.